Just spent the last two days flying two ESL contests in Lancaster PA. One
day contest on Sat. and one on Sun. We flew a 9 round contest on Sat and an
8 round contest Sun. Oh Yeah, BTW, Gordy was there and we kick his butt
again this year. Thanks for coming out to play Gordy.

There are many different TE configurations for launch. What works for one
plane may not be right for another. Usually less droop in a good head wind
and less line speed. The headwind will do most of the work. In a tail wind
more line tension and speed. Some keep the TE clean till they get up some
initial speed and then come out with more TE droop after establishing the
climb. Others start out with lots of TE down. Try them out and see what
works for you and your plane.

Landings. Years ago it was more common to make a steep, short approach.
These usually ended up in a semi dork. Sometimes breaking things and
generally not looking too nice.

These days most competent flyers come in from farther out and at a slower
speed and lesser angle. Final legs are usually 200 to 300 feet and take
approx 15 to 20 seconds. Usually starting a downwind leg at 30 seconds left
carrying some speed while descending from approx 100 feet or less, and then
starting a turn onto final at about 20 seconds left and heading back at 15
seconds left. Maybe 50 feet high at the final turn and then gradually lose
altitude on the way in and try to get the speed down low by the time you are
at the spot. Makes for a nicer more controlled landing and is easier on the
airframe.

In more of a head wind you can adjust to carry more altitude so you don't
get caught short. More wind helps you slow down much quicker. Watch out you
don't come on the flaps too early in heavier wind as you will bleed all your
airspeed off way too soon and end up short.

In a tailwind landing you have to make a shallower approach than normal and
start bleeding off speed earlier in the final leg or you'll over shoot or
have to really dork it in to hit the spot, and take the chance of damaging
the plane in the process.

Hope this helps.

Later...