What a fun day at the club field today.  I got to fly Jim McCarthy's
Artemis LT for a good deal of time, that is a sweet machine.  Jimbo played
around with it for a 51 minute flight at one point in the day.  This is
about the time of day that we are all specked out and sitting around the
picnic table together chatting and flying together.  I got to fly Tom
Kallevang's brand new red barron ICON, flies just like mine, kinda neat to
fly a different model that is so close in performance.  That red over black
color combo is really good looking on that model.  I flew my Organic and
ICON, just a nice relaxing day.

A nice day of flying usually sets me up for a relaxing drive home, but
today was interesting.  As soon as I tried to merge onto the tollway home I
had to squeeze into a pack of guys driving these little high revving sports
cars like that were in that movie The Fast and The Furious.  I don't know
if you guys have seen these cars, but kids are hot rodding these Acura's
and Toyota's and Mazda's, all lowered and chromed out, with big mufflers,
lettering all over the cars, and even big wings on the back of some of
them.  I've seen these types of cars before, but I have never encountered a
club/gang of these guys all at once.  Needless to say there was no getting
around them, they were keeping both lanes to them selves, boxing me in and
right on my bumper, very aggressive driving on their part, but I don't
scare easy.  I knew the road was going to hit a toll in about a mile, and
this had to open up at that point.  As we entered the toll, they all spread
out so they could get through at about the same time, and I did the
same.  We paid our tolls, and I was out with the first group, looked over
to the right at a young buck and his girlfriend in a black Acura with
chrome tail lights and a huge ridiculous looking wing on the tail.  He
probably had more money into that cars accessories than what my car cost
new off the lot.  There was a roar as all these cars left the toll both, I
waved at his girlfriend good bye after I dropped into second with my tires
screaming for traction, into third with a solid chirp, and another quick
bang into forth.  The winch battery, all my wing bags, and tool boxes not
even shifting around in the compartment as the "gang" of cars was just a
smudge in my rearview mirror a few seconds later.  I just smiled as I
realized that was my real last flight of the day.

Sometimes there is a thread on this exchange on what the ultimate vehicle
is to haul sailplanes to and from the field with, I really enjoy my '98 6
speed C5.  8-)

Jim
Downers Grove, IL
Member of the Chicago SOAR club,  AMA 592537    LSF 7560 Level III
ICQ 6997780    R/C Soaring Page at www.jimbacus.net