From: Luis Bustamante [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2002 3:47 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: F3J Fuselage snapped

The other day while launching my new molded sailplane the fuselage snapped
in two. I won't mention any names at this time but the plane is a well known
variation of an European F3J sailplane. This particular variation has won
well known international contests in Europe as well as recently winning a
large US TD contest against the best sailplanes available.

My sailplane was quite new with maybe 30 launches so far. It had not yet
been used in competition, had never had anything but soft landings and had
not been crashed. It was still being trimmed out for launch and landings.
The day the fuselage snapped it was being launched using one of our club
winches which nobody would describe as "powerful". For those of you that fly
ESL contests I would say our club winch has about 80% of the power of a
typical ESL winch.

 Other planes flying with me included a Mantis, a molded Condor, an
Addiction, an obechi Sleger's Storm, a Predator and even an old 2-meter
Alcyon. None of these planes had any problems that day. This particular
launch was my second of the day. At the top of the arc, before coming of the
hook, the fuselage snapped about 8 inches behind the wing saddle. The plane
crashed and seriously damaged the wing skins. The wing spar survived with no
signs of damage. Obviously, the wing was strong enough to handle the launch.

I have personally never seen a fuselage fail in this way before. On the many
occasions when I've seen a winch blow up a plane, it was the wing spar that
failed. This makes sense to me since the wing is experiencing a tremendous
load during launch. I would expect the fuselage to hold up to the conditions
that failed mine.

What do you guys think of such a failure. Is it, in your opinion, an
indication of a defective fuselage? Or is it an indication of a weak
fuselage design? I would appreciate your feedback since I need to make a
decision on how to proceed from here. I believe a lot of people out there
are flying the same sailplane and maybe they should know about the
possibility of this type of failure.

Thanks,

Luis