Bill Rakozy wrote:

> Is Titebond that much (lighter) and (stronger) than CA?  The only glue I use
> is CA type and West System epoxy, but love wooden nostalgia type airplanes.
> Your thoughts please?

I use yellow carpenter's glue because:
   1) It isn't toxic (look ma!  no fumes!)
   2) I can spread it with a finger without worries.
   3) It cleans up with water.
   4) Strength tests I've done on spliced sheeting showed it was just
      as strong as CA (the wood breaks before the bond does).
   5) It is easier to sand (I generally resort to filing CA).
   6) It is a lot less expensive than good CA.
   7) I don't have to go to the local hobby shop (LHS) to get it.
   8) It can be stored at room temperature seemingly forever.

On the downside:
   1) It is heavier, but easier to use less so I don't find this an issue.
   2) Balsa soaks it up and warps if you use too much, especially on the
      endgrain.
   3) It doesn't dry clear (some of the white ones do).

I generally use thick CA when I can't use yellow carpenter's glue.
Thin CA I reserve for those situations that demand it -- flowing into
tight joints -- because I hate using it.  CA generally flows all over
the place, and sticks to everying you don't want glued, including your
fingers.  CA fumes really irritate my eyes.

The #2 glue on my bench is polyurethane.  I'd use it almost exclusive
of yellow glue, except polyurethane glue stains skin so it isn't as
nice to use, and its expansion requires good clamping until set.

When it comes to epoxy joints, I use 30 minute for all.  I'm not real
picky over the brand.  Don't use laminating epoxy for joints (it works
but takes forever to harden - been there, done that).

--
Andrew E. Mileski
Ottawa, Canada