Will,

    You need to consider the type of flying that you will do.  Slope or
thermal.  Either way, the experience of flying will probably cost you some
rebuilding grief, but will return experience that is priceless and make you
a better pilot.

    Remember that you can repair almost anything on a GL.  They always look
worse at the field than when you start fixing it.  I re-started my flying
career with an old plane that now barely has any original wood in it.  I've
rebuilt wing and fuselage, as has almost every "good" pilot you see at the
flying sites.

    A GL is a fine, low wind, thermal bird.  Starting off with an instructor
on relatively calm days is an excellent way to become a thermal pilot.
I've seen a GL pull 15 foot circles and climb out from 50 feet.  A feat that
few thermal birds can put into their resume.  The Zagi and, in general, all
combat wings are designed for high maneuverablility on the slope.  They are
designed to be relatively unstable and fly relatively fast.  Few pilots can
thermal one, even when the lift is good.  Learning to make a plane go up
without a motor is something that not every pilot becomes good at.  It takes
practice to be able to circle up in lift and extend your flight from 2
minutes to 10 to 30.  Don't overlook the experience of those 2 minute
flights.  Learning to launch and land your bird in one piece is something
that is not trivial, but not too difficult. Everyone from beginner to
expert, no matter what they are flying now, started with planes like the GL
to learn these tasks.

    If you are going to primarily  slope soar,  a GL is still good on light
days.  You will be able to fly when almost of the other pilots are down,
looking at the sagging windsock.  You should, however, get a plane that is
more forgiving to land when the wind is howling is up there.  A Zagi is good
for medium wind, but is much less forgiving on the controls.  Input is
nearly always required to keep it doing what you want.  An EPP plane like
the Highlander is a good mix of easy control with "fault tolerance" and flys
much more like your GL than a combat wing.  The point is to match the plane
to your primary flying conditions.

    If you have a slope nearby, the GL is good for the days when wind is
light, 5-10 mph.  It provides a good opportunity to spend tens of minutes or
more learning the characteristics of your plane.  The best part is that the
lift is in a fixed position so that you can learn the subtle art of
recognizing lift, even though the  lift is not so subtle.

    There is little chance of learning how to fly without some rebuilding.
It takes very little to put a balsa plane into a landing which requires some
repair.
a good instructor and the use of a "buddy box" will minimize this and is
highly recommended.  It will keep you at the field instead of slaving over
the building board.  Keep CA and packing tape handy.  CA to fix minor wood
breaks and packing tape to fix covering rips.

    I know how it sounds when somebody tells you to get another plane.  $75
for a kit, $30 for covering and $100 for the electronics.  I used to choke
at the meetings when someone would bring in a beautiful 3M molded ship worth
$800 with another $200 in servos and radio gear.  Don't be too discouraged
by that.
You too will eventually have a decent size hangar to call upon for the
conditions of the day.  No one plane is ideal for all conditions. Depending
on your choice of aircraft, you can still pull the receiver and battery pack
from one and put it into another until you get your second flight pack.  I
still am "short receivered" and switch from one to another occasionally.  If
you get a Zagi, be sure to use an antenna tube so that you can removi it
without destroying your plane.  I usually lave the servos in place, but they
are relatively inexpensive.

  You have to make a choice.  Stick with what you have and only fly in the
conditions that are right for that bird, or expand your hangar to include
several conditions.  After 3 years of flying (again) I have about 8 planes
that I can choose from to match the conditions of the day.  I fly a scratch
built 2M to thermal, and usually take at least 2 planes to a thermal field,
in case of malfunction or minor, but unrepairable in the field, damage.  I
regularly take 3 planes to the slope to cover wind speed from 5 to 40 MPH, a
hand launch feather, a 2M and a flat wing aileron.

    I hope that I have encouraged you to finish and fly the GL.  It is a
fine bird that is relatively easy to fly in light wind.  I would still have
one today if I did not skimp on rubberbands during a launch in my teens.
The EPP slopers have their place, but  will never replace the thermal ships
on the flat lands, or even at the slope when the wind is light.

    As far as the money goes, It is never that easy to part with the money
for yet another plane. If you do not already have a radio, the Zagi combo is
reasonably priced.  Even if you just use the radio gear in the GL, you can
finish that, fly thermal and light slope, and finish the Zagi later.  You
probably don't need the carbonized version of the Zagi.  Take a good look at
the less expensive versions.

    You picked a good pasttime that has a lot of good people and 9 out of 10
of them are more than will willing and able to help you join the ranks of
modelers who can keep a silent plane in the air without a motor.

    Good luck in your adventures.  You WILL have fun flying little planes.
You have no choice in that.

Tom Koszuta
Clarence Sailplane Society
(Buffalo) NY