Hi Steve,
 You can't beat a full length antenna. All others are a compromise.
Handi talkies such as the Police and Fire Dept. use are to keep the longer antennas
from being a problem.
They also have a transmitter coverage area designed to give the hand helds an adequate
signal
for the area in which they operate. Rubber duckies are a compromise but are adequate
for the distance we normally fly in. Our
typical transmitters don't offer a good ground plane and I won't go into that now
as this requires some theory. Keep your antenna clean and fully extended and you will
be OK.
Regard, Art
,