At 01:30 AM 2/3/2000 -0800, you wrote:

<snip>
>Pretty soon the HAM bands will be about as exclusive as
>the CB band.  Before you know it, your gliders on the 50Mhz band
>will be crashing because some drunk truck driver with a HAM
>license is trying to pick up a hooker on your frequency.

It's already happening.  Back in 1967, I got my ham license before
investing over half a month's salary in one of those new fangled digital
radios just so I wouldn't get shot down by a good buddy.  I did not have a
verifiable interference from either another modeler or a ham until a couple
of years ago.  Back in 1997, I was unable to control my model at Visalia
when the model was above 200 feet.  Radio checked out fine on the ground
and I was able to fly it specked out when I got back home.  The next year,
I bought a radio on Channel 55 just for Visalia,

Then last year, I started having occasional radio problems.  Turned out to
be a 6-meter repeater had been installed right on top of the frequency I
had been using since 1969.  Real hams have a legitimate reason for using
the band.  Unfortunately, most of the increased activity is due to the same
jerks that ruined the CB channels moving up to the ham bands now that the
licenses are so easy to get.

Chuck Anderson  WA4ZFH