NO, AM radios are not shifted, AM uses Amplitude Modulation.  The shift in
FM is due to the binary encoding used for the pulses.  An FM signal in our
world is represented by two frequencies.  A carrier on the primary
frequency, and a second frequency shifted by some small amount.  The
proimarry carrier represents one binary state, the shifted freq represents
the other.  If the second freq is higher than the promary, it is POS
shift, and if lower, NEG.  I hope this is understandable.

BTW:  In a properly, ideal state, AM R/C signals use NO carrier for one
binary state, and a urst of carrier for the other.  THis is one reason
that FM is less prone to interferrence, it has a constant signal to
'capture't the receiver while AM has periods of NO signal carrier which
allow interferring signals to penetrate.

.........bc    ([EMAIL PROTECTED]

       http://www.widomaker.com/~conk
Williamsburg, VA 23185