OK, enough skeg mail. Let's move on.

A lot of the discussion here has been driven by the sentiment that soaring
contests aren't fair. The same people win all the time, its a landing
contest, its a flight time contest, fliers cheat by using skegs, yadi yadi
yadi ya......

Here''s my solution: As the score keeper for the ESL I have access to quite
a few years of history of anyone who has flown in an ESL-sanctioned contest,
whether the fier is an ESL member or not. This season I am going to
implement a handicapping system and post handicapped results. The
handicapping process isn't sanctioned by the ESL and is a purely personal
effort. But by maintaining the system and posting the scores I hope to
convince the ESL, and possibly the greater soaring community that
handicapping is a good idea and will make contests "fairer" and winnable by
any flier without resorting to classes.

I am going to model the system on golf handicapping. The base metric of
non-handicapped performance will be the normalized performance (percent of
the winner's score) adjusted by the spread of the contest (the percentage of
pilots with normalized scores of 90 and above). The latter adjustment is
intended to eliminate the effects of "easy" vs "hard" contests, usually
driven by the wind strength and thermal activity. The handicap is calculated
as the average adjusted score for the most recent X contests for a pilot
with the worst Y% thrown away. Did not complete all round contests are not
included.

Once we have a handicap we can calculate a handicapped contest result as the
adjusted score divided by the handicap. A score of 1.00 means that you have
flown to your handicap. Less than 1 means that you underperformed and one
greater than one that you have flown better than your handicap. The person
with the highest handicapped score has "won" the handicapped contest.

The fundamental concept is that you get rewarded for flying better than your
handicap. The throwaways are a mechanism to eliminate poor results caused by
equipment failure or sandbagging.

If it works properly it won't matter if contests are dominated by duration,
landing, or whatever. You compete against yourself, or rather your
historical performance.

Anker