Well said Shawn!!

Mark Wales

From: "lenci1938e <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [RCSE] Todi Plans-LONG
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 14:08:04 -0000

Members of the RCSE:

First of all I would like to thank everyone for all their enthusiasm
regarding the Dodgson Designs Todi plans and the copy, copyright
issue. I was very fortunate in 2001. Bob Dodgson gave me all the
tooling, molds, plans, design rights and his personal blessings to
all of his great designs. These designs included the Todi, Maestro
line, Camano line, Windsong/Lovesong/Anthem, Saber, and Pivot. As
far as he is concerned he "gave me the business" as he stated and I
now have the right to do as I see fit with his designs. If I wanted
to try to reintroduce the kits and go broke in the R/C sailplane
business it is totally up to me. All that he asked in return was
that I don't bug him and ask him a lot of questions, modelers do not
contact him, and I am not to use the Dodgson Designs name as he still
carried a business by that name.

With all that being said I am very surprised to see what I have been
reading regarding the copying of TODI plans. I have contemplated
several times wondering if it is worth the effort to try to
reintroduce some of these great designs. At the time all of Bob's
airplanes were the state of the art. He literally spent hundreds of
hours on each design. From the initial design, drafting,
prototyping, testing, and production all the work was done by Bob
himself. Bob was also the secretary, accountant, and janitor at
Dodgson Designs. It was truly a "labor of love." After reading the
plan copying discussion I am surprised that it would even be
considered out of respect for the designer and his work. I am now
wondering of kit production is worth all the effort. Why do I want
to go through all the hassle of tooling up, advertising, breathing
balsa dust, exposing myself to CFC fumes and epoxy resin if my work
and Bob's work is going to be copied. It is not worth my time and
effort.

I have been in contact with both of the modelers involved with issue
several times in the last two years. They both have my email
address and know that I have the original drawings and would gladly
make them a set if asked. I could take Bob's original vellums to
Kinko's or the local blueprint supply and have a set copied. I would
not charge them an arm and a leg. Believe me I would be losing money
in the time it would take to do this service. I have not been asked
by either modeler.

I, and Bob I am sure, am not going to make an issue out of copying a
set of prints. It is not worth the hassle. But I think it would be
very disrespectful to Bob especially to copy his work without his
permission or mine. I wish to remain friends with both modelers
involved with the hopes of possibly selling them a kit or two in the
future. I will remember this situation, how it is handled and will
make that decision at that time. I do not believe the Soaring
Exchange is the forum to discuss plan copying in public. It would
have been better handled through private email.

I just want to say that Bob Dodgson is a great man and a great
friend. He has helped me tremendously throughout my modeling career
and I owe him so much. I respect totally the work he put into his
designs and what he represent to the history of R/C soaring. I
believe this part of the reason he felt I should have is designs.

All I can say about copying Dodgson Designs plans and parts is let
your conscious be your guide. Forget about copyright laws and the
length of their duration, that is not important here. I am not
worried about losing money on parts. I have more stuff than I need.
Think more about the man and his life's work and respect what he
represents to the history of this great hobby and how you feel
about "copying" his work without compensation.

Thanks,

Shawn Lenci
Escalon, CA