Jim Thorne wrote:

The problem with your earlier
statement was your reference to a "rate of inertia," which doesn't
exist.  The rate information you mention below has to do with changes in
angular momentum.

The appropriate term that is calculated from gyros is the product of moment
of inertia (I) and angular acceleration (theta double dot). I think this is
where Rob came up with "rate of inertia." A gyro will measure the angular
acceleration of the sensor, and the moment of inertias are known. You can
then get the speed and path of the sensor.

"Angular Momentum" isn't exactly correct either, as momentum typically
implies the product of speed and mass. Moment of inertia has no mass units.

-Aaron