I've used HiTech servos for years in lots of airplanes - both powered and
sailplanes. I've never had a systemic failure of HS225 or HS85 servos. I
would not consider them inferior to a comparable JR or airtronics servo.
I did replace two HS85's in an Escape once when I blew out both aileron
servo gears in a super hard F3J launch! I replaced them with JR368's (thanks
Mike!) and never had a problem again. I should not have had the HS85's in
there to begin with - the problem was caused by flutter of the surface - any
plastic geared servo would have failed. I have HS85's in my Zenith as it
does not get launched nearly as hard. The only problem I've had with the
Zenith is stripping the Airtronics 141 flap servo gears. The flap servos are
old, but they were free. I had to smile reading Gordy's post on smokin'
motors. The last flap servo I fixed had a lot of crap in the servo and the
motor. Yes - I cleaned it up  rather than replace the servo (even pulled the
motor apart and cleaned the commutator!). It did last thru the SWC. I'll
replace the 141's with HS85MG's or HS225MG's and not think twice.

OH BTW - I think the SWC finish/opinion/authority metric is GREAT!
I finished 11th at the SWC, so that makes my opinion very near the top :-)
Maybe if I had better servos, I could beat Fred (Sage)!
Now if the other Fred is listening, I'm ready to sign that big sponsorship
deal.

Mark

message and its attachments and notify Space Imaging immediately.