Just so you know, most airlines have a "sporting equipment" exception in
their baggage allowances.  I can't promise it will work, but if you tell
them it is sporting equipment for a contest you are going to, you may be
able to get away with it (A set of skis or a snowboard, for instance, is
almost always free to carry on a flight, even though they are
"oversized").