--- Vern Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just received a postal packet from Dave at Laserarts  with the Bird
> of
> Future/Time wing ribs, etc.   Looks great -- even a leading edge
> sanding
> guide and pre-cut, vertical-grain spar supports!

For the edification of others who may not know of this project, these
are the parts necessary to build a wing with the cool-looking Bird of
Time planform, but with a real carbon spar. We're not talking a spruce
spar with a strip of carbon tow on top to make it look black, but a
real honker (similar to that shown at
https://www.cstsales.com/How_to_Articles/SparBuilding.htm )

This idea was cooked up on the yahoo group called balsasailplanes.
George Voss makes a nice fiberglas BOT fuselage, and the concept came
up of an updated plane that would look retro but fly modern. Mark Drela
contributed airfoils and some coaching for the wing design. For plans,
see the "FILES" section in the balsasailplanes group.

Vern and I will now race to see who finishes building it first; the
winner will be announced shortly after the next Presidential election.

Actually, there are several guys building these, so maybe we'll see
results sometime during the upcoming building season.