Hi all,

We're actually doing a project on that very subject right now for LiftZone.com, execpt
the goal is to tow 4 and 5m sailplanes (look for the article in the coming months).

Phase one has been to use a Senior Telemaster with a big Aveox drive system on 30
cells, and that has more than enough power to tow my friend's 4.2m ASK-21 off of long
grass. The problem that we've been having so far is putting 2.5
horsepower through a belt without it delaminating, though even that problem should be
solved quickly.

Check out the following links for videos, or see the Scale Sailplanes forum on
RCGroups.com

Here's an email I sent to our club list. We tried again this weekend, only to have the
belt blow up...damaging the tug in the ensuing off-field forced landing. Joy! Now it's
my turn to spend the week repairing...

"Had our first successful tow with the tug/sailplane combo, and one that
went horribly wrong. Just as a reminder, the tug is a Hobby Lobby Senior
Telemaster (about 10.5-11  lbs), and the sailplane is a Rodellmodel
ASK-21 (4.2m, 12lbs?).

The first one was fine, with the combo coming off after a 100ft rollout
or so. This actually works very well! The climbout was strong, but it
was hard to keep the tug from climbing too strongly and slowing the
sailplane down too much. We got to about 300 ft when the sailplane
released, because I ran out of down elevator on the tug (needs some trim
work).

Video here: http://www.soarcalgary.com/Multimedia/Tow1

The second tow didn't go so well. After retrimming the tug a bit, it
started off well.

Video here: http://www.soarcalgary.com/Multimedia/Tow2

After the first leg however, the tug and sailplane got a little
uncoordinated and ended up putting a bunch of slack in the line. As the
slack came out, the tug got yanked almost to a standstill, but the
sailplane got thrown in a violent flat spin. Since we were only about
150 feet up, the sailplane wasn't able to recover completely in time to
avoid damage. The wingrod was rather severly bent (1" steel tube!), and
the tail needs some 'glasswork patching. The tug landed without
incident.

The ugly: http://www.soarcalgary.com/Multimedia/BadTow

That was it for the day, obviously, but we'll be out again next weekend
if weather and repairs permit."

Cheers,
Adam