>How do you deal with adverse yaw caused 
>by a V-tails use as a rudder?

I think you mean adverse roll, not adverse yaw.

Yes, a V-tail has adverse roll which forces you 
to deflect the ailerons a bit more while rolling.
On the other hand, for a given amount of yaw moment,
the V-tail has less of its own induced drag than 
a conventional vertical tail of the same height.
I think the conventional tail slightly wins here 
overall, but that's a guess.  I haven't run the numbers.
It's surely configuration dependent to some extent.

If you're holding rudder into an established turn, 
the adverse roll of the V-tail has an unexpected
benefit -- it unloads the inside wingtip and
helps to suppress tip stall.  In practice the
effect is very small, but then we're talking
very small differences here in any case.

I see the V-tail vs X-tail choice as mainly 
a structural, mechanical, and construction issue.  
The aero differences are puny by comparison.

RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.  Send "subscribe" and 
"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that subscribe and 
unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME turned off.

Reply via email to