Take the advice from someone that...

1. Has owned 4 personal laptops...
2. Works for a software development company that buys a lot of laptops...

Stick with the Compaq line.  Buy yourself a new one with all the bells and
whistles. Don't fall for all the slick marketing from Gateway, Dell and
others.

My first laptop was a Compaq.  My latest is a Compaq and any future ones
will be Compaq.  I've learned my lessson... the hard way.

I have horror stories, either experienced personally or through my company,
associated with all brands except Compaq.  I'm sure there are people with
Compaq horror stories as well but from my point of view and, IMHO, Compaq is
your best bet!  My boss, who has the money to buy whatever he wants, bought
himself a Compaq... partly after listening to my line of reasoning.

Dave