My hats off to guys who know all the science, but in the end what's important is finding the maximum possible range for your RX TX combo, then installing your RX antenna the best way (which also means the the place that works best for you...function and form:-)

Optimum range of YOUR RX TX combo means this: MEASURING what is the actual max ground range possible for your system... not the guessed at, or you think seems to be the max.

You do that by hooking up all your servos etc to your RX, then with your model in your Super-Stand (or your immoral version of that :-), have the RX and its antenna hang out side the plane freely.  Then using either a Picolario or BC6 Battery Monitor with its glitch detector enabled, start counting paces while you walk away.  The Pic will announce the very first servo jitter in the form of that hot German chick moaning "attention, attention"....or the BC6 beeping (not nearly as sexy).  Try to remember what the pace count was at that point!

Now put the RX in the model, with the antenna buried in the fuse as usual and do the same thing again. If you get the same 350' (paces) you got with the RX antenna with its full length wetted (straight and exposed), you get to keep your antenna in the fuse.

When you find that with the antenna in your sailplane's fuse gives you less ground paces than what you paid for (optimum base line determined in the first phase of this process), now you get to move the RX antenna outside the fuse in any manner you want to try first.

Take the walk of range again and count. IN the case of the Pike Carbon, it took running the antenna out a hole just behind the TE top of the fuse (for me), then soldering on virtually the same amount that was 'choked' inside the fuse to get that optimum I paid for.

(by the way I did this experiment with 6 different RX's including two PLL Synthesised RX's, two seperate stock TX modules in both an 8103, and a Stylus, and with a Spectra PLL module in both those TX's....nothing changed by changing components).
It was a lot of pacing that nite:-(

This is all in the article for RCSD...and more can give it all away :-)
PS, credit to Andrew for the BC6 as a tool for this, I use them too, but never thought about using that glitch feature for anything useful.
Gordy
I fly.... alot.