Tom,

(Okay I bite, and go out on a limb (or several). I am a total utter newbie,
never even been to Utah much less Soar Utah)

I think that Soar Utah needs to decide what "it is". There is no shame in
saying we are "Scale Soar Utah" and limit everything to scale. Period. There
are other fly-ins in the U.K. for example that are scale only. Is this land
public? Could anyone wanting to organize an all comers fun fly do so? Just as
important: What do the people who volunteer their valuable time to organize
and run the event want? What in their heart of hearts did they envision? It
is very very selfish for anyone outside that group to decide what is 'fair'
or not. Let them get their own venue if so motivated.

If Soar Utah is intended for scale like soaring, then everyone is welcome and
can fly whenever they like as long as they fly in a 'scale like fashion'. I
don't know any wing's that fly in a scale like fashion unless B-2s. Nor do I
know any scale like sailplanes deisgned for air to air combat.

If it were me, and foamies and others were going to be allowed I would make
all foamie 'wings' pilot but some sort of insurance. Just like cars. There.
Do you really _WANT_ to fly in the same airspace glass slippers that bad?
Fine. Buy insurance. Put up or shut up.

I would put in the rules that foamies colliding with other non-foamies are
liable for reparations _regardless_ of 'who is at fault'. Period. Foamies
should be assumed guilty unless otherwise proven by several witnesses.

Otherwise I would change the name to 'Scale Soaring Over Utah' and decide
there and then the event is a scale event (foamies scales or otherwise).
Flying will be limited to 'scale like soaring'. That is soaring as would be
done by real sailplanes (which AFAIK do not fly like Zagis). If I may add,
there are enough PSS venues and enough people interested in PSS that "Scale
Soaring Utah" could be limited to scale +sailplanes+ and not cause anyone
undue hardship. Or PSS could be on a separate ridge/hill. Many PSS pilots
don't want to trash their planes either.

Frankly the best thing to do is to organize "Scale Soaring Over Utah", and
stop making _your_ event (it is your event) an "all comer" event. Let someone
else deal with that. I enjoy foamies. I enjoy them a lot! My first R/C plane
last August was a DAW TG-3. I still fly it. But I'd be sick if my
'invincibility' trashed one of Chris Gold's (for example) masterpieces. But I
bet many people now days would not.

My two cents.
Jeff

=====