When I got my first amateur radio license as a teenager, back when
there were sunspots and the bands didn't go dead at dark, the pinnacle
of hamdom was the Extra class license. In those days it required a
fearsome code test, 30 wpm I think, and a hard written test made more
difficult by the total lack of prep material. I sometimes thought about
getting an Extra ticket, but other things intervened and my activity
drifted off to nothing. Somehow, 46 years slipped by (and they go fast,
don't they?)

But last night I finally bestirred myself to drive down to the Cliff
Branch library where exams were being given for the Extra license.
There's no code test now; the written test is hard (sample of an easy
one: if R = 100, Xc = 250, and Xl = 150, what's the phase angle?), but
there's plenty of cram-course material to get you ready. So I did it,
and now I have the designation that seemed so far out of reach to the
crystal-controlled novice, all those years ago.

If there is a point to this tale, I guess it might be that we all may
have some old goals that haven't been dusted off for a long time, and
that it's pretty cool to dig 'em up and take another crack. You might
even apply that to flying XC or getting LSF V, and call this a
soaring-related post.