> Also, you might think from reading posts here (RCSE) that everyone fly�s
> molded TD ships,

If you fly in contests, you are hard pressed to beat one, unless it falls
into the hands of a novice.  NASCAR guys don't compete with production line
cars because they give up too much.  So it is with sailplanes.  Even Michael
Selig has suggested that anyone flying for perfomance should have a set of
CNC molded wings on their plane.  Commercial aspects aside, would you rather
drive a Pinto or a Ferrari?  You can't compete with most built up wood
planes.  Either the wing strength or the less than perfect building gets
you, not to mention most kits are for average builders and flyers.  I've
been building because 1) I am conceited and believe that if someone else can
design and build something like that, so can I,  2) I don't want to put that
much money in peril each time I launch (read "cheap"), and 3) I have a
Buffalo winter to fill with something soaring related. (I try to fly but
cold AND windy can really dampen your spirits in a hurry.)


> Competition numbers are down in Thermal duration True-false?

Many if not most club members do not want to risk their plane while learning
to winch a woodie.  It comes down to the reason one design contest are
around - deeper pockets tend to win, and few want to compete when they are
at so big a disadvantage.  The gap between a kit plane and a purchased one
is wide and probably widening.

> Cross country is local regional terrain dependent.

I concur, but mostly out of not trying.  There will always be some place you
can get to in a reasonable amount of time to try this, but then you need
supporting cast and large, efficient sailplanes (see above)

> No one builds any more (except old guys)

"Old guys" remember when planes were stick and silk, receivers used dry
cells servos were three position and a good airfoil had a flat bottom,
dammit.  I'm in the middle.  I am finishing a scratch built original design
of foam and carbon and obechi.  I have hundreds of hours in the design and
"what do I do next" of this plane.  Some of the best pilots in the country
do not build planes.  They probably spend their evenings at a park shooting
dozens of landings with their molded ships while we are inhaling epoxy, CA,
balsa and carbon .  They are getting to be better pilots while we are
becoming better builders.  This is fine if it is what you want to do.
Besides, those moldies don't build themselves, do they?

Do what you like to do and accept what others do.  There is tremendous pride
in flying the plane that you built or designed and built and noone can take
that away from you.  There is also a lot of pride in flying an expensive
airplane well and really taking advantage of its wing strength and
efficiency to find lift in a place that noone else can reach.  Continue
designing and building and you may end up being one of the guys that goes
down in soaring history with Thorberg, Charlie Richards, and the like for
your innovative designs.  We still need those, too.

> Are we all old guys?

I started flying in 83 then stopped in the pursuit of an education, then
raising a family.  You can't build and fly wings while you're chasing tail!
(Sorry ladies).  There are two things you need to fly models, time and
money.  If you don't have both, you don't fly.  Young families have a habit
of draining you of both, so you tend to see very young flyers - dad's hobby
and his time and money, and old flyers done with the child raising.
Patience and maturity are factors in there, too.  Even though we are playing
with toy planes, you need to suffer like everybody else to learn to keep
your toys safe.  How many people have you run into that said they had a
model plane one but crashed it and never flew again?

> How do WE objectively instill interest in R/C soaring of all types to new
> people, regardless of age or demographics? In other words, get the word
out
> there?

They will come.  There are always going to be people lured to the silent
models.  The subtlety of chasing thermals is not for everyone.  Those who
hear the call of the art of flying thermal duration planes will always be
there and they will find us.  The newest generations are about EXTREME
everything (capital letters here is very important - you have to shout it,
even when reading), but there are the few who will find the quiet road less
taken the desired path.  They too will learn to feel the wind shift, watch
the sky noting that a new cloud is forming, spot every circling bird in the
sky and see the little dandelion seeds going straight up over their heads -
and they will find us.  I don't think you can truly recruit a sailplane
pilot, but only awaken the feelings within that make them realize that they
need to do this, like we do.

We do this because we want to.  Everyone of us has a slightly different
reason for flying sailplanes.  I don't know if I answered your questions,
but I believe I've answered some of mine.

Too much philosophy for me for one day.

Tom Koszuta
Clarence Sailplane Society
(Buffalo) NY


RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.  Send "subscribe" and 
"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that subscribe and 
unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME turned off.

Reply via email to