Ejector pins are nitride hardened to 65-74 Rc, while the core hardness remains
~35-40 Rc. This allows for zero memory until yield, at which point the inner
(softer) portion will allow for bending to occur. However the outer (hardened)
portion will split/tear. I did bend one one time (0.25") and split the
outer "skin". The impact was tremendous, actually the same rod survived a
similar event without any sign of damage on another aircraft. They are superior
to anything out there including carbon or Titanium volume-wise

The expectation that this will save an aircraft is stretching it a bit, as the
amount of energy required from initial split to fully broken is relatively
small.

THe advantage I see with hardening is being able to spec a smaller metalic rod
to perform the same work as a larger/heavier rod.

Go to: http://www.dixiepins.com/index.html

Dixie allow purchasing onezie's and twozie's, shipped to your door. They are
available in metric as well...