From: Marty Timm [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 11:03 AM
To: RC Soaring Exchange
Subject: Re: [RCSE] Growing list. Inbox Filters

> I now have 3 filters in place. Due to the limitations of the old
software on
> my old email computer I have no other choice but to delete emails from
> "Orman", "mrmaseratiman" or "sneidley" directly from my ISP server. A
better
> computer would have more options but this one doesn't.

Perhaps it is time to seriously reconsider the format of this list.
Once before, I brought up the question of whether a "forum" format would
not prove to be more useful, consume less bandwidth, and require less
"inbox maintenance" on the part of the lists customers.  Now, with
spam-mail appearing to have become unstoppable, we need to start
thinking outside the box.  A forum format would defeat the e-mail
spammers as nothing would get sent by e-mail.  I belong to a variety of
internet forums and I have not seen any virus-spam-mail in the forums
that I belong to.

Just to review the advantages of using a forum format:
- consumes less bandwidth, only the messages that the customer wants to
read are downloaded
- organizes all replies to a topic into a single thread that can easily
be read in part or its entirty without searching
- requires less "inbox maintenance" on the part of the customer.
Topics/replies that are of no interest to the reader would not even have
to be downloaded.  (thus eliminating the need to download all the "...
so there, Gordy" replies)
- potentially eliminates the incidence of virus-spam-mail
- the ability to go back and edit posts that contained erroneous
information - as opposed to e-mail, which, when sent, is unretrievable
- an advantage for the list providers is the ability to sell advertising
space on the forum's web-page.  Don't have a cow on this one - there is
nothing wrong with advertising.  Advertising is how we find out about
new products.  I spend as much time reading ads in magazines as I do
articles.

Disadvantages of going to a forum format:
- change - some people hate change

Me?  I embrace change as long as the benefits outweigh the costs.

Right now, the costs of downloading all of the list's e-mails over 28.8k
dial-up (upgrading is not possible), spending time searching through
reply after reply after reply for topics of interest, spending time
deleting e-mails in which I have no interest, etc., etc., etc., is
outweighing the benefit I receive from the one or two threads per week
that are of interest and use to me.  I am seriously considering whether
I intend to remain subscribed to this list.  Don't get me wrong - I
would really like to get those topics, I would just prefer to do so
without wading through all of the other stuff.

I expect to get my fair share of flames on this, but that is of no
concern to me as I only expressing my opinion and have no intention of
debating the subject.  Just remember, getting the last word in doesn't
necessarily mean you're right.

Regards,
Marty Timm

"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that
MIME turned off.