Guys,
 The system is made to work with less than optimal antenna position.  If
we could all have RF transparent planes with the right structure for
mounting a precision cut antenna, then great, like the man said, we could
all fly our planes even further past that mile we can't see them at
anymore anyway.  The fact is people have done all sorts of wacky things
with their antennas that work.  Things you can't even change will effect
your antenna performance.  How you hold you hold your transmitter relative
to your body and the ground, how wet the ground is, how the antenna in
your plane shakes around as you maneuver around.

Yes, it is important to leave that ~ 1 meter length of wire on your
receiver, and try to keep it away from other conductive materials.  But if
you need to fold it around on your wing to make it fit, do it, it'll
probably work.

Just be sure to test (range check) your arrangement before sending it up
the winch, and have fun.  :)

-Charles