From: C & C Hahn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, September 12, 2004 12:17 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [RCSE] Epoxy Questions

I'm hoping someone on this forum will be able to offer advice regarding a problem I am experiencing with one of my sailplanes.

I have a Multiplex ASH-26 4-meter sailplane with a Multiplex retract.  When I
assembled the kit I had to make custom bulkheads from plywood to support the front and
back of the retract unit.  As per instructions, I sanded the area inside the
fiberglass fuse with heavy sandpaper, then epoxied the bulkheads in with good quality
(I thought) epoxy and glass cloth.  Unfortunately, after a number of less than perfect
landings in the past year or so, I have had to go back numerous times and re-attach
these bulkheads due to the hardened epoxy DEBONDING from the fiberglass.  This has
become really frustrating, even after perfecting my landings, many times it will still
break the epoxy loose.

Question:

Obviously, I'm using inferior epoxy (purchased at the local hobby shop) and need to
try something else.  What would you gurus recommend?  I have heard of West Systems
epoxy and understand it is a superior product but quite expensive and I only need a
small amount.  Are there other alternatives that may work as well?  What about JB Weld
- is this just junk too?  I really need something that will stick to the fiberglass
fuse extremely aggressively.  Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages
must be sent in text only format with MIME turned off.