Actually a great narrative Joe.

I had my first taste of XC (of any kind) at the NATS this year. Granted,
the inbound course that was finally adopted for the scale guys was more
like driving around a NASCAR track, but it opened my eyes to the
potential fun and challenges of XC flying. Before acting as spotter for
Pete Goldsmith with his 7 meter Nimbus 2 on the "race track", I went for
an attempt on the outbound FAI course. The wind was blowing 15+ and I
was flying an old beat up 5 meter Ka6E. This was really stupid, but oh
what fun. I made it exactly 1 mile out into a soybean field, clocked
forward speed at 5 mph at one point.
In contrast, spotting for Pete later in the day on the closed course we
were driving 55 mph and Pete was putting in camber so not to fly too far
ahead. The potential for scale ships on XC tasks is phenomenal. Pete
flew 6 laps on the course without stopping to thermal. There was some
lift, but this was almost all aspect ratio and L/D. We were blowing by
other competitors struggling to stay aloft.
It always seemed to me rather silly to be standing in one spot and
flying a 6 meter Nimbus which had an L/D of 40+, now I am hooked, but
the problem here in the East are the wooded hills and developed real
estate prevent us from setting up adequate courses with safe land outs.

JD
PS: a very scale like LET Albatross 4 meter won the winch FAI XC in the
very windy conditions.

Endless Mountain Models
http://www.scalesoaring.com