I have been flying Escapes for several years now and have V-tail,  X-tail and electric versions. The Escape certainly is one of the top F3J and unlimited models available today and the quality is second to none. The tip ailerons are a bit of a complication with advanced programming required and a little extra weight out on the wing tips. About a year ago I began experimenting flying the models with the tip ailerons disabled. Careful analysis revealed the tip ailerons really weren’t doing that much. Roll response in the landing configuration was a little better with the tip ailerons activated but that could easily be compensated for with a tad more throw and expo in the main aileron. So for the last year I have flying the models with the tip ailerons taped shut and the servos removed.

At the 2004 F3J World Champs in Canada I noticed the Slovakian Team had some Escapes with a link pin between the main and tip aileron and were not using tip aileron servos. I had considered that idea before but didn’t think you could get a slop free connection because of the compound angle the two ailerons work at. I inquired with the pilots about this and they immediately went and got Jaro Muller (manufacture of Escapes) to show me how to do it. I have since installed this mod in one of my Escapes and can report it works perfectly and is slop free.

Here is how it is done. Pins are glued in place in the main aileron and then left free to slide in and out of the tip aileron as the surfaces move up and down. The pins are located mid chord of the ailerons. Make pins from 3/64” music wire about ˝” long. The tricky part is getting alignment of the two holes so the ailerons line up properly. Drill the holes as nearly aligned as you can but you probably will have to make them oversize at first.  Glue the pin in the main aileron with epoxy and micro balloons straight with the main aileron hinge line and projecting just enough so the pin can engage the outer hole when the ailerons are flexed full down. You want the pin to project as much as possible to avoid the ailerons from accidentally disengaging. At this point the main and tip ailerons probably don’t quite line up so hog out the hole in the tip aileron in the correct direction. Put a drop of oil on the pin and a dab of epoxy in the hole. Move the aileron assembly to the full up position and tape them in alignment until the epoxy has cured. That’s all there is to it.

Terry Edmonds