I used to ship everything via UPS ground. After they computerized their
shipping outlets, two things happened: First, every package got charged for
the full rate including oversize rates, excess length charge, special
handling fee, etc. Prior to computerization the person accepting the package
was responsible for knowing which rates to charge. Almost always the people
working the counter had no clue what the correct rates were and would just
weigh the box and charge only the straight rate based on weight only. With
the computerized system they just measure three dimensions of every package
and enter that into the computer. The computer charges the appropriate rate
and never misses any of the aforementioned charges. So UPS got a lot more
expensive after they got computerized but at least the shipping charge
became predictable.

A short time after the computerized system became effective, "phase two"
kicked in. That was an increase in shipping rates of all sorts. Not just the
base rate but things like the over length fee which went from $5 to $7. At
that point UPS became very expensive, relatively speaking and I decided to
check out Fedex ground/ Fedex home delivery. Fedex was way cheaper and they
also operated out of my local Kinkos only one block away from home. The
Fedex Kinkos is just a Fedex location operating out of the Kinkos store. It
charges the same rates as the "regular" Fedex location. In fact I was even
able to set up a Fedex account and print shipping labels on my computer at
home. All I do is drop off the packages at the Fedex Kinkos, no waiting in
line.

You could probably set up a UPS account and ship via local UPS stores also
but for now UPS is a lot more expensive. That may change in the future. UPS
may be forced to lower rates due to the competition. Also, Fedex may begin
to raise rates once they have more fully established their ground system.

Phil