At 07:40 AM 10/20/2004, Anker Berg-Sonne wrote:
What has been written is good, but not complete.

A) Staying on the line too long, sometimes even overshooting the turnaround.
When you stay on the line too far the winch just pulls the plane towards the
ground.

Also, standing on the pedal too much does the same thing.

B) Not applying manual up elevator during the later part of the tow. This
prevents you from applying maximum stretch to the winch line. Of course, you
don't want to break your plane or the winch line.

I have my models setup so they pull hard with out dialing in any elevator preset or use on launch. I have pulled to stretch the line before ping, but everything has a yin-yang effect to it so the bad part of this is that you will slow the model down by doing this, and it can be a pretty bad trade off. It works with mono better than the 290lb cord we usually use on our winches.

C) Not throwing properly, using battery energy to bring the plane up to flying speed.

Or throwing the model already rotated... but I shouldn't take the topic away from the zoom. 8-)

Jim Downers Grove, IL Member of the Chicago SOAR club, AMA 592537 LSF 7560 Level IV ICQ: 6997780 AIM: InventorJim R/C Soaring blog at www.jimbacus.net