I had a request to send the rules for the Turkey Shoot that will be held on Sunday and thought it best to broadcast them for all to peruse and decide what they may want to fly. The question came up regarding an AVA or similar and what type of construction it is considered to be. Unless I hear a persuasive argument to the contrary, I can't see that it's anything other than built up. It's not a bagged composite, nor is it molded. Good luck to those that play the factors to their advantage. My latest check on the weather says upper 50's with winds out of the Northwest @ 10-15 so it looks like we may get this thing off the ground. Here's the rules...

SOAR TURKEY SHOOT 2004
 The contest will be 3 rounds with an optional 4th round. Task times to be determined by using the handicap system below with a spot landing for 100 point bonus. Your score will be normalized to the perfect score for your task.

There is a handicap applied to round 2 that is determined by
the type of equipment being flown and in round three by the
skill level of the pilot. You will determine the handicap factor that
is applicable to your situation and fly the appropriate time for the
round. The 100 pt. bonus for the landing will be determined by taking
2 times the distance (measured in decimals of a foot with the tapes provided) off the spot from 100 (100-2d) for the 1st round and for rounds 2 and 3 it will be 100-2df where f is your handicap factor for that round. There will be no negative landing bonuses. (Measure the distance, if the tape says 3.2 feet, that's 32, multiply that by 2 and multiply the result by your handicap factor. Then subtract that from 100. That's your landing score.)
N.B. see special âskeglessâ exception on score sheetâ

Round 1
Everybody fly 6 minutes

For round 2, f is equal to 1 + all of the equipment factors applicable to your plane, as figured from the following:

Class
-.4 HLG hand launched
-.2 1.5 - 2M (59.05 - 78.74 inches)
0  >2M - 3M (78.74 - 118.11 inches)
+.2  >3M (118.11 inches)

Construction
-.2 Built up sticks
0  Wood Sheeted Foam
+.2 Bagged composite
+.4  Molded

Control surfaces
-.2 2 function
0 3 function
+.2 Full house (> 3 function)

Thus a composite Phasor 2M would have a factor of (1 -.2+.2+.2)= 1.2
and an Esprit or Stork of (1 +.2 +.4 +.2) or 1.8. For flight times of 7.2
and 10.8 minutes respectively. (0.10 minutes = 6 seconds)

For round 3, to the f determined for round 2 add the following factors
for pilots skill, use only the single highest level applicable.

Skill Level
-.3 for no contest flying
0 SOAR contests
+.3 Out of state competition