I had some Janco FF model that I built without CA and was covered with tissue and dope, and converted to R/C, (Jammed a Kraft 2 channel brick into). I had a little rig that was similar to a F3J handtow device, but it didn't have a pulley, just a handle the string fed through. Learned to fly the hard way, by myself, one crash and slow repair at a time.