I recently answered this in an email so here is that response;

I always immediately take the roll of mylar out of the box, stand it on end
and then expand the roll to about a one foot diameter and then just let it
stand on the floor that way.

I think the problem may happen when the mylar is rolled tightly and then
left in a box in a hot truck or warehouse somewhere before you get it. If
you are unfortunate enough to get a batch of mylar like that then you will
have to try and uncurl it. The following is a summary of recent messages in
the SALglider group (message numbers 7262,7262,7264,7267)

1) I've heard from someone but can't recall who. You could flatten them
out by ironing them on a flat bench. You need a tissue between, not
to scratch the surface. I haven't tried it myself so no garantee.

2) I used a heat gun to gently warm them. They flatten out fine.
Tom

3) I had some luck putting 16"x 48" curled mylars in a large basin like a
bath tub and pouring boiling water to cover them.

I never found a good way to uncurl mylar myself but those three suggestions
come from other guys who have.

If you don't/can't uncurl the mylar then you will have to live with the
curly mylar or buy some new mylar. There are ways of dealing with curly
mylar.

The curl causes problems when you do layups. To avoid that problem you can
stick the mylar down to the bench with 3M77. The curly mylar is also hard to
paint since it won't stay put in a spray booth. You can fix that problem by
taping spruce sticks to the back of the mylar to hold them flat while you
spray them. Other than that there really isn't any trouble from curly
mylars.

Phil