The Mirage is a very unique sailplane design for it's
day. It is light where it needs to be and just strong
enough to complete it's task. With an empty weight
around 30 oz. it can float like few others. Add 24 or
so ounces of ballast and it will move out when the
conditions turn adverse. No flat bottom airfoil here.
It's thick low camber airfoil, i.e. semi symetrical,
gives plenty of lift with lower drag than the flat
bottom airfoils of the day. You can beef up the spar a
bit in the center section while keeping the tips light
for nimble turning characteristics. It was after all
the plane that inspired the Bubble Dancer. I have been
selling a short kit for the past two years and many
folks have rekindled the Mirage spirit. Shortly, I
will have a full kit available. Blaine Rawdon designed
a unique sailplane back in 1978 which is still a
viable and fun sailplane today. It was first seen as a
plan from RCM in February 1979.

Mark
Isthmus Models