I have been using the light weight white foam as pushrod guides for a long time.
In my two AVA fuse's and my new Graphite 2 fuse, the most recent applications, I formed three 3/4" discs for each fuse. The front of the boom, the middle, and the rear, just forward of elevator and /or rudder attachments.
Cut a notch in each disk to locate each pushrod outer as required by each design. Also in the middle of each disk fashion a notch to be used to orientate the discs as you are installing them to insure the push rods are lined up for smooth action.
Shape one end of a 3/8" birch dowel like a screwdriver blade and use the dowel to rotate the disc for pushrod outer location.
Don't forget to install the pushrod outers into the notches as you install the foam bulkheads.
After the push rods are completed check for smooth operation and dribble slow drying epoxy from each end to fix the front and rear foam bulkheads in place. The center bulkhead should be epoxied prior to installing the front bulkhead.
You will now have a very smooth push rod system without any slop or end play.

Regards, Dave Corven.