After seeing the short article in Quiet Flyer this month on the Vought XF5U-1
"Flying Flapjack",  my long-lived desire to create one of these for myself
has been revived, and I'm looking for suggestions and technical help in the
design phase of my project.

I am going to first make a simplified test bed version using fanfold foam, in
semi-profile configuration. The final model will be fully dimensional and
made from depron for the most part. I bought a very nice paper model of the
flapjack from which I will be scaling up formers and the like, so that part I
think
is covered.

 The Version One  testbed will be an indoor/light outdoor park flyer type.  I
am unfortunately restricted in budget, so I'm looking at brushed speed
300-400 type can motors, likely on direct drive, and powered by nicads or most
likely hydride battery packs. I know it before you type it: outrunners and
lipos
would do this job much better and more efficiently, (and if I had some ham, I
could make a ham sandwich.... if I had some bread too). I'm asking for your
best
suggestions using what I have available to me, and lipos and outrunners are
not in the budget at this time.

 I'm going with a simple 3-channel radio setup, elevon control with HS-55's
and motor ESC. At this point, if I can get a decent five minute flight with
good performance, I'll call it a win, knowing an eventual upgrade to lipos will
cut weight and increase power and duration.

My plan for mounting the motors is to use model rocket body tubes for the
motor booms, reinforced with a bit of glassing and some new carbon fiber rod
from
Midwest. So much of the character of this plane comes from the twin big
4-blade props, I'd really like to find the right motor/prop combo to make this
semi-scale look happen, without pulling too much current for the battery/esc.
see in the hobby lobby catalog that flying styro makes 3 and 4-blade hubs and
blades that might work... I don't have motocalc or other  similar tools to
calculate the loads in advance, any help here? I'm guessing twin speed 400's
and a
six-cell hydride pack, that's as far as I've got, and don't know if one ESC
can handle the twin load...

Size wise, I'm thinking about a 25-inch span, which sounds like it would have
a high wing loading, but is deceptive for this plane's configuration. The
full scale plane was designed to be VTOL/VSTOL, working at high-alpha and slow
speed for takeoff and landing.

Any hints, tips, advice gladly considered. If you have pics or URL's you want
to share, I'd welcome the info.  When I have something significant to show in
the way of progress, I'll post a link to a thread on RCgroups.com

Thanks for your time and help.
Mark