Vinylesters have been around for awhile,
I used a vinylester fairing compound when I rebuilt my sailboat ( www.aerofoam.com/trimaran.html )
Vinylesters have properties similar to epoxies, but to a lesser
degree. I.E. less adhesive strength, less flexibility etc., but they
are very superior to polyester resins and are exactly the same
in handling, mixing etc. You can even mix them with polys to alter
the properties.
They would be excellent for fuselages and probably do well for any molded application, but they are acetone based and will
melt foam to a puddle in no time.
The vinylester fairing compound is the best of both worlds,
it is far more flexible than polyester, so you won't ever see cracking
and you can use polys on it in the future.
One of the big problems with using epoxy pathing or repairs on
a poly molded hull (or airplane part) is that you can never use
a poly over the repair, it won't adhere to epoxy. Vinylester can be mixed or thinned with standard gelcoat to provide
a harder out surface. This doesn't apply much to our light weight
airplanes, but it could apply to building molds.

Mark Mech
www.aerofoam.com