You are correct, the original claim of "proprietary" is/was misleading. I doubt
these 1.5mm pitch connectors will ever become popular though. In fact they have
a number of shortcomings;

- can only accept 26 to 32awg lead
- maximum current rating is 1 amp at a low 50V
- Not compatible with anything else, which requires you to buy an extension,
which increases the R losses by having to employ more of these measly
connectors.

The ZH compact connectors are great in the miniature world of electronics,
especially low voltage low current applications (like cellphones etc, they are
even too big for this application now). Go to:

http://www.jst.com/index.html

to see their complete line-up and the specification sheet.

I offer customers the option of sending me their servos so I can install
special locking connector housings that mate to the male housing I normally
install on the other ends of the custom made wiring harnesses.

In the end, the customer gains the ability to use the servos (Volz or
otherwise - the locking mechanism is easily removed) in other aircraft by
simply being able to plug into any standard 0.100" receiver or extension. All
the OEM's on both sides of the pond supply connectivity based on 0.100"
spacing. It's time Volz got with the program. They would certainly sell more
product...

Quoting Joedy Drulia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> As originally posted by Gordy concerning the Volz servos
>
> "… tiny VMS connector system…"
>
> I'd like to go on record as stating that the "VMS" system is not a
> proprietary connector system. I feel that it is misleading to state so
> otherwise.
>
> While these connectors are being marketed and branded by Volz as "Volz
> Microconnector System", these connectors are, in fact, made by JST.
>
> They are called the "ZH" series micro connectors. You can view the PDF spec
> sheet from JST through this link:
> http://www.jst-mfg.com/pdfE/eZH.pdf
>
> I came upon this information while researching expansion port connectors on
> the MPX EVO radio. The EVO has "JST" stamped adjacent to the expansion
> widget plug in ports on the mainboard. Fellow EVO pilots confirmed and
> located the information concerning these connectors.
>
> If anyone is interested in obtaining these, they can be found from
> www.maxxprod.com , www.lightflightrc.com as well as from Gordy directly.
> Shop around though, prices vary quite a bit.
>
> These are great connectors and since they are so small, will generally fit
> within servo wiring tubes without needing to cut and solder the connectors
> in order to install the wing servos.
>
> I don't know if they will eventually catch on, but they have the merits to
> do so.
>
> -joedy

> "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that
> subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME
> turned off.  Email sent from web based email such as Hotmail and AOL are
> generally NOT in text format

Radius Systems
Cogito Ergo Zoom