Dana,

It is refreshing to see that some people know what to do with extra time at
the NATS ("I ran the turnarounds for years"). I can't remember having seen
most of the people complaining about the contests helping with anything,
other than criticism. I'm sure Mark G. could attest to that. I have some
thoughts on the hobby and competition that most on this group won't
understand but you may.

After seeing all the people with GPS raging about size of planes, cost of
planes, # of days of contest, and types of landings I begin to wonder about
the people that are drawn to the organized part of this hobby. I just have
to laugh. Life is enough of a competition for me. I was lucky enough to be
able to retire early. I retired early mostly because I got tired of the day
in and day out competition on the job. Tired also of the competition that
some people think is necessary on the road, to and from work. I could go on
but I think you get my point. My joy is going out and flying by myself or
maybe one or two friends. Launching when I feel like it and actually
enjoying a hobby I call thermal flying. No one has to tell me how long to
fly and where to land; I grew up in the 60's. I'm one of those "pilots" (I
use quotes because I am not very good at flying) that doesn't beat anyone
and I don't get "good" recognition for my contest flying. I don't need it. I
get something better. Satisfaction; and the kind of joy and peace some
experience canoeing, bird watching or hiking. I attend many more club
contest than I fly in. I attend because I like the people and enjoy helping
the club run the events. I don't enjoy 4 launches per contest and on a good
day maybe an hour of flying out of 5 to 7 hours on the field. I can get an
hour of flying any day of the week with a two-hour outing.

I guess that is why I only participated in 4 out of 10 club contest last
year and none of those contest were as much fun as going to the GlASS woody
contest in Michigan. Flying the Ladder event at GLASS was great with many of
my flights lasting much longer than needed because the air was good and I
didn't feel like landing. The only two events I really want to make this
year is the GLASS woody, and the fun fly at the Woodcrafters contest. My
planes aren't bigger, don't cost more, but I don't have anything to prove so
I can just enjoy flying them and go home satisfied and relaxed. Well, Dana,
I hope the other guys can work out all the details of the size, cost, days,
and landings before it consumes too much more frustration and anger. And I
hope they can go home from your contest feeling as good or better than I do,
because then they will have a hobby and not another hassle in your life.

John (LOFT Fort Wayne)

P.S.   Flame retardant pants locked on.