I have been thinking about this point for a few days. There is a huge emphasis
on handlaunch, which is even *more* difficult and expensive than many 2M ships.
So the answer cannot be that 2M planes are too difficult to fly, cause we all
know that handlaunch offers really short flights even with DLG. Perhaps it is
because no one has really made this class size sexy enough. After all, why
should they?  We get people moaning about the class all year long but
particularly during the winter. It is also, as some have said, the "beginners"
class where just about everyone starts out. I do not know the solution here but
I'd bet you cannot strengthen this class even by adding enough CF and hollow
moulded parts to attract those with some bucks in their pockets. I think the
Allegro-Lite has done more to attract people, including myself, to 2M and RES
than anything else.

I suppose we could take your example, Matt, to the fullest extent and have
handlaunch guys compete against unlimited as well. I know at one contest I went
to there was a guy that did that...  I was second to last with my 2M foamie,
and guess who I beat? :-)

Unlike some, I have actually enjoyed this thread. It shows that there is some
passion out there in this hobby. Hopefully some of that passion will get passed
down to some younger modelers.

Stuart
Cheshire, CT