Phil-

This is a great service to the list. Thanks for offering your expertise in this area so that all can take advantage of your hard work.

-Ben

Phil Barnes wrote:

I have gotten many requests for 1.8oz Kevlar lately. It seems that all those people buying carbon also have a need for Kevlar. The style of Kevlar in question is commonly referred to as either 1.7oz or 1.8oz. It also goes by the style number 120 or number 350. It also may be called Aramid or the brand name Kevlar. All of these are the same thing. This is the type of kevlar that I use for all of my wings and is generally the most useful for vac bagging of sailplane wings, fuselages too.

This style of kevlar has become more expensive and hard to find lately. There used to be a couple of sources that sold "factory seconds" of this material that were just as good as first quality material for our purposes. Those sources dried up about a year ago. They used to sell 38" wide Kevlar for about $7.00 - $8.00 a yard and 60" wide for $10.00 - $11.00 per yard.

These are the two sources that no longer have the inexpensive Kevlar;
http://acf.clark.com/
http://johnrsweet.com/Kevlar.html

I did some research a month or two ago to find new sources for this material. Here are the results;

http://www.acp-composites.com/
ACP had 38" wide for $22.00/yd and 50" wide for $28.00/yard

https://www.cstsales.com/home.htm
CST had 38" wide for $18.75 - $29.25 per yard depending on quantity purchased.

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_cat.php/subid=2498/index.html
Wicks had 38" wide for $18.95 per yard.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cm/kevlar.html
Aircraft Spruce and Specialty had 38" wide for $20.40 per yard.

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product_Catalog/product_catalog.html
Fiberglass supply had 38" wide for $14.12 - $18.50 per yard depending on quantity purchased and 50" wide for $21.18 per yard.

http://shopping.netsuite.com/carbcom
CARBCOM was listing 60" wide for $32.16 per yard or $23.32 per yard for full rolls.

http://advanc8.fatcow.com/inven.html
Advanced Composite Traders may be the place that some of that cheap kevlar was coming from when it was available. the salesman told me that one of those cheap sources had bought from him in the past. The are a "composites trader" and deal in overruns, seconds, etc. and sell in very large quantities at very low prices. When I called they had 38" wide kevlar for $13.00 per yard.....................500 yard minimum order.

Some of the above may no longer be current.

That's the picture as I far as I know for style 120/350 kevlar. I only know of one good Kevlar deal that is still available. See my next post for details.