Is the problem the term aspect ratio?  For his project he's probably using a
plank wing.  Aspect ratio is a term that can be applied.  What happens to
the same span if the planform becomes elliptical?  Do you still apply the
same aspect ratio?

Out of practical experience there is a big difference between a plank and an
ellipse, even with the same foil (most noticeable at higher speeds).

I think we've spun away from the original premise of how aspect ratio and
glide rate are related, but it's obvious that more variables quickly come
into effect.

I did a similar science fair project in high school where I tried two
different foils on the same planform and airframe.  I used the school gym,
turned out the lights and recorded the flight by leaving my camera lens open
and using a strobe light.  The project basically proved that the break
through airfoil I was trying didn't work at all.  The fact that I got to
integrate a glider and photography was probably more important.  I still
have one of my favorite pictures, where the glider was flown, banked hard
left towards the camera and flew by, all recorded by the strobe.  I think I
was blinking for about a week after that project.

JE
--
Erickson Architects
John R. Erickson, AIA