All it means is that if you like to use the flap lever like an on/off switch on approach to a spot landing, you will almost certainly let the big flaps slow you down too much, and you will land short of the spot.  But if you are careful to establish the correct glide angle with perhaps 1/3 flap, then you will more likely have enough energy throughout the approach to actually make it to the spot.  The flaps are very effective.  That is what I am trying to say.

Mike

At 03:44 PM 2/24/2005, Chris Veitch wrote:
Tom

Re:- During landing, the Sharon doesn't like a lot of radical flap modulation.

Can you clarify what you mean by this, save me guessing as I am just kitting my electric one out at present.

TIA

Chris

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Hoopes
To: Stan Myers ;
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 8:01 PM
Subject: Re: [RCSE] ATTN: Sharon 3.7 x-tail owners, need input

At 10:26 AM 2/18/05 -0600, Stan Myers wrote:
Had all but decided on Tempest when the water got muddy. Someone(read Edgar "Soaring Junkie") suggested I consider the Sharon.   So, I'm asking for input. Probably the main criteria I have is that it be able to hi-start.  I do not have a winch readily available to me(and the club winch has seen better days). I am able to get 23#'s of pull out of my hi start. Which was adequate for my Artemis 5mph +, but really iffy for 1-3 mph.

That aside, does it require constant attention with the sticks?  I'm a "Sunday Flyer" and I am looking for 'relaxed' flying.  I have some open class flying experience. I have a "Sun" 3.2m electric powered by Hacker 50 that I am able to handle, but never really got comfortable with the Artemis V tail.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciate.

Yes I'm the same guy who asked about the Tempest last week. Appreciate the band width.

Stan

Stan,

I have a Sharon, Artemis and a couple of Icons so I might be able to provide some input.

I bought my Sharon for an "early morning/light lift" F3J tool. The Sharon will handle a brutal two-man tow without complaints. I'm not sure what you would consider "constant attention to the sticks", but I think the Sharon is a nice flyer, with one exception. During landing, the Sharon doesn't like a lot of radical flap modulation, I'm guessing that this is due to the large flap chord. Otherwise, she's got great legs, hangs well in light conditions and is great fun to fly.

I've regularly hi-started my Sharon on 25' of 1/2 tubing with 50' of mono, but I'm probably pulling around 40+ lbs at launch. My Sharon came with a fixed position towhook and I replaced it with an adjustable version as well as pushing the CG aft quite a bit.

Interestingly, my Artemis Lite (v-tail) is still my favorite TD plane to fly.

Tom Hoopes - ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

      ------   Hoopes Designs   -----
"Taking the hassle out of wing wiring harnesses"
       <http://www.hoopesdesigns.com>