Good point. It is overkill, and as soon as the magnets are separated a
little bit, they lose most functionality. Also remember that these
magnets are (relatively) easy to slide apart, so if the plane part in
question is sheard off - it will just slide away. Their real force is
felt when separating them in a perpendicular fashion.

I have been toying with the idea of using them as canopy hold-downs,
but will they affect the componants in proximity to the magnets (RX,
servos, etc . . )?

Again, I have used them on a 100" 3 piece, lightweight sailplane wing.
But I did use a little tape too - to cover the gap and relieve my fear
of there being nothing but magnetic force holding them together.