The winches use a coaster brake from a bicycle on the outside of the winch. If you hook the chain over the sprocket before launch it has a positive brake, great for windy days or for using mono line.

Here is an old picture of my winch I found on my web site, one side you will notice the coaster brake. Sorry, those pix were off my old camera.

http://www.jimbacus.net/soaring/Frp.html

At 08:35 PM 3/5/2005, D Hauch wrote:
Jim bacus wrote;
> For the most part, the Chicago guys all have positive brakes on their FORD
> longshaft winches.
> Mine has one.

How are you guys making the brake for the Fords ?

Still love the strecth of the mono compared to braided line, especially
on side wind launches.
dh