Well, obviously you have " profi religion" and faith that Ernie won't
retire, or decide not to repair radios in his spare time.
 Personally I will stick with a major distributor who supports their
product with a trained staff of 6 or more full time techs and field
support by all the JR team members, and factory support personnel.
Granted you can't expect the personal touch, but look at the volume
difference, One or two vs many radio turn arounds.
If they are so good, you have to wonder why you see so many Profi's for
sale used these days? Are there owners buying new ones? Where?
Turn around is fair play :-)

Hey apples to apples, new price to new. The used radio market is another
thing entirely.

The profi is an excellent radio, no argument, once the king (in Europe
especially for large scale sailplanes), with factory support, on going
development, but face the facts, that has come to an end as far as
future development of the profi is concerned. The Hitec future may hold
another multi channel radio in development, but it will look like all
the other Asian offerings.(EVO) The new, albiet overpriced Futaba 14
channel has what looks like the future in hand, JR will follow with one
of their own no doubt, hopefully with a tad bit more function than
glitz. Who want mp3's on their transmitter?

Look at the market. Germany has 25% unemployment, no one is buying high
priced stuff but the elite flyers. The hobby shops are going out of
business over there. No one is going to develop a radio for a handful of
Germans, Swiss and, Austrians. My assumption is they will support the
German market for a while, and supply the U.S. connoisseur willing to
pay
$1000.00 for a transmitter, special order. Even here we are aging,
willing to spend more and we want to do less, not build planes, not
program radios, etc. The average age for modelers is 50 something. The
dollar is in the dumpster against the Euro, so who, ultimately, is going
to make radios in Germany for the U.S. market? Enjoy your profis while
they last. Long live Ernie!!

JD

Endless Mountain Models
http://www.scalesoaring.com