>  Excellent guys!   Programming radios seem like a secret dark art to me and
> other new fliers.  Something passed on by the knowing wizards since the
> manuals rarely give a clue or good examples.

Tom,

Yes, most manuals today are dictionaries telling what commands/mixes are
available, but not how/why/when you would want to use that mix.  That
information is not specific to any given radio, and is perhaps why it is not
included in radio programming manuals.

That "secret dark art" used to be out there, but now is a little harder to get.
 The manual with the Airtronics Vision gave a great overview as to "why" you
would want this mix or that, in a very few pages.

Several years ago, Don Edberg wrote a good book about programming computer
radios.  Lots more details on what is this mix, and where it might be used.
Great book to answer the issues you mention.  The book itself is out of print,
but he still sells it in an electronic form from his website.  The site is
rather slow.

http://dynmodel.com/guide.html

I bought the book many years ago, and it was quite helpful to me.  He covers
planes, gliders, and helicopter mixing.  Most of his examples are glider
oriented.

Jon