On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 08:48:27PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

| All this talk of synthesized radios and channel conflicts reminded me of a
| thread I started on RCGroups.com a while back. For those who are into math,
| here's a probability puzzle:
|
| There are 50 R/C channels available on 72 MHz in the USA. Assuming all
| channels are equally popular, everyone chose his channel at random, and
| everyone is stuck on his own channel (no synthesizers), how many flyers with
| 72 MHz radios have to show up at a field before the odds favor at least one
| conflict?

9.

If 9 people show up with random 72 mHz frequencies, the odds are 51%
that there will be at least one conflict.

It hardly qualifies as a puzzle anymore, since the math is so well
understood.  For more on the math involved,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_paradox.

Of course, in reality the channels are not random -- if somebody you
fly with often has the same channel as you, somebody tends to change
their channel.

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Life, loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it."