On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 12:49:25AM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

| If it ain't type accepted then it ain't legal at sanctioned
| contests.

As others have suggested, this does not apply to ham band equipment.

Ham band equipment does not require type-acceptance, though if mass
produced (as most R/C equipment is) it usually is type-accepted,
because if not type-accepted, only one non type-accepted transmitter
can be made per ham operator per year.  I'd have to dig up the
regulations to know exactly how the limitation works, though certainly
nobody keeps track of this sort of thing -- the main purpose is to
stop people from churning out things like illegal CB amplifiers.

And there's nothing special about a sanctioned contest here, except
that they pay closer attention to the rules/laws.  If it's illegal
there, it's illegal elsewhere as well.  [Yes, this is all specific to
the US.]

FCC regulations do allow qualified persons to modify type certified
equipment, and I'm not sure if changing the transmitting antenna
qualifies (as long as the new antenna has no signifigant gain) or not.
(But changing the crystal definately qualifies.)  And I'm not sure
what qualifications would be required to make this sort of simple
modification.

http://www.vantec.com/FCCregs1.htm gives a good summary of the FCC
regulations related to R/C usage, though they don't apply to stuff in
the 50 mHz band.

| Mind you, I don't care and I'm not going to complain, but there is
| someone out there that might, so if I were you, I'd keep the standard
| long, ugly antenna in my flight box at all times.

Probably not a bad idea.  Even though changing the antenna on a 50 mHz
radio is perfectly legal, you may run into a CD who doesn't understand
this and can't be convinced.

| > I have tried the Smiley on a Futaba 8U on 50MHz. I got significant
| > glitching even at short range. I never got around to re-testing it on
| > 72MHz. I did just now (4/14) contact Smiley asking if the regular
| > antenna was acceptable for use on 50 MHz. I really would like to get
| > rid of that long telescope.

Well, the standard antenna is acceptable for use on 50 mHz, even
though the length is usually more appropriate for 72 mHz use, so I've
always assumed that the 50 mHz module (and the ones for other bands,
like 35, 40, 27 mHz, etc.) had the appropriate matching circuitry.
(Certainly, you don't change antennas when you change your module.)
And if so, then it would match the smiley antenna just as well as the
smiley antenna is matched with a 72 mHz module.

But rubber ducky antennas like the smiley _are_ known to create a 10
dB or so reduction in signal strength over a standard 1/4 wave antenna
(though the exact figure depends on a great many factors), so that
would cause a signifigant reduction in range, but I wouldn't expect it
to start causing glitching unless you exceeded that range.  Perhaps
things were marginal before, and the smilie was the `straw that broke
the camel's back'?

Obviously you're a ham if you're legally using the transmitter, but
maybe you don't have the proper equipment to listen to the signal.
You might want to find another ham with a 50 mHz FM receiver to listen
to the signal for you, with both antennas and start from there.  Many
scanners would work OK for this, though they often don't give a good
idea of the relative strength of a signal.  (A spectrum analyzer would
be good too, but they're expensive and not too many people have them.)

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED], AD5RH
MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL!  SEND $9.95 FOR MORE DETAILS!