About 1980, my second glider was just completed... a Craft Air Drifter II. My wife and I went to the school field and got ready to launch it on its maiden.

I decided my wife would launch and I could be at the ready if anything strange happened. I pulled the chute back, hooked up the Drifter and then carefully gave the plane to her to launch. I yelled "let her go" and my wife let go, but didn't pull her arm down. Bang, off breaks half the stab/elevator from colliding with her hand. I stand and watch as my glider hits 4-5 times and each impact sends up a cloud of parts and monokote. Instant rekit... nothing worth keeping. It was a quiet ride home.

She never volunteered to launch any of my gliders again.

I did build another Drifter II and really enjoyed it.

Bob Goldsmith