For the past two weekends in a row a rather informal group of fliers has
gathered at a local field in Durham, CT. Last weekend we had 8 fliers, this
weekend about 7 (some different faces). This is quite a resurgence in activity
from three years ago when I started and I was lucky to find 2 other guys at the
field on any day.

The favorite flying around here is handlaunch, either discus or zip start. 1/2
of the guys have the high buck types (e.g. Taboo) with the other half having
either built up Gamblers or homemade ships.

This is quite a resurgence in unpowered flight. While there is an esailplane
club nearby, for several years anyone in the local area wanting to fly without
motors with more than one or two other guys, such as at a contest, would have
to travel to Long Island, NY, up to the Charles River club in Massachusetts, or
Maine. While there are no plans for any contests locally, and we will still
travel to those locations to get our LSF vouchers points, it is quite nice to
see so many thermal/sink indicators in the sky at once. It makes flying so much
easier!

So how is sailplane flying attendance in your neck of the woods?

p.s. The glow fliers were outnumbered for these two weekends in a row. We even
had interest from several of the free flight guys wanting to dust off their '76
polyhedrals, put in new radio gear and come flying again. Sweet!